[TYPO3] Using CSS with Typo revisited

Michiel van der Ent michiel at alzo.nl
Tue May 23 11:03:01 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem as Mark Fink. Is there any solution?

Kindly,

Michiel

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:58:37 +0100
From: Mark Fink <HYPERLINK
at mark-fink.de>
Subject: [Typo3] RTE not able to tag for CSS???
To: HYPERLINK
3-english at lists.netfielders.de

Using CSS with Typo3

I use typo3 since version 3.5 and this is the first time it really
disapoints me. I invested so much and therefore have not much option
left but it really hurts. I had this discussion in the german list but
since it is smaller I received not much of help. But it helped me to
structure my thoughts on this issue.

Here is what I want to do:
+ I want to use Typo3 in combination with CSS since CSS is the standard
+ I studied and experiment with the "Customizing the Rich Text Editor"
article. I want to use the RTE if possible. No "rtehtmlarea" or other
none standard extensions. Unfortunately the promised article of
adminguide.pdf is not available (anymore). I guess this is only for
paying customers.
+ I have the extension "CSS styled content" installed because it seemed
so promising.

RTE.classes {
   Look1 {
     name = Look1 (DIV#LOOK1)
     value = font:bold 10px; margin-bottom: 0;
   }
}
RTE.default.classesParagraph = Look1
RTE.default.hidePStyleItems = *

I have the following two problems:
1. In the RTE I can mark one line of content and assign the style. If I
check the "sourcecode ckeckbox" I can see the desired result: "<DIV
class=Look1>...Content ... </DIV>". If I select multiple lines of
content only the last one is marked up correctly. The other lines are
wraped with "<DIV> ... </DIV>". This is not pretty but I could live with
it.
2. If I save all the format is gone and I have all the content wrapped
with "<P> ... </P>".

This really could not be true! CSS is the standard for formating HTML
pages. Sure typo3 can reference stylesheets but this is of little use if

the content is not marked up accordingly. I think that only very few
sites can manage with P, H1, H2 and the other standart tags and specific

extensions are necessary. The CSS standard describes the needed
elements.
I have to say that MS with its frontpage supports CSS with not much left

to desire. I my opinion a enterprize class content management system
should offer the same support for CSS. Otherwise it seems pretty
outdated to me.
This is the second time I tried to use CSS with Typo3 and it does not
work. In my Opinion styling content by using CSS is a standard feature
for a content management system. I am not able to and I do not want to
program my own extension for CSS usage. I have to say that I would be
happy to trade many of the small gimics extensions for a propper support

of the CSS standard. Maybe the typo3 community should give this argument

a consideration when next time priorizing new features. I think CSS is
on the top level agenda. As is propper XML support but I will save this
discussion for next time.

Cheers,
Mark