[TYPO3] useful idea for blank installs / pimpmytypo3.com

Ben Sauer ben at escapecommittee.com
Wed May 17 11:08:24 CEST 2006

(apologies for the previous thread hijack!)

Each time I install typo3 to develop a new site on my test server, I
don't use the packages from typo3.org (except for the sources). I've
created a blank installation with everything I need for a typical site
ready to go. I'm sure that some of you do this as well.

The blank site has the following:

* most commonly used extensions (ie the ones I consider typo3 to be
useless to me without!) with working version numbers (ie not the
bleeding edge ones)
* a simple site structure (about, contact us, etc) + HTML template in TV
so that someone can start building up the content of the site before the
design is finished
* BE users that I need every time (e.g. "editor") with the required
permissions

Every time I develop a new site, the job gets easier and faster, because
I refine the blank installation each time with what I've learnt. I
thought these installs might be very useful to the community, especially
if everyone could add their own for different purposes (e.g. a working
DAM install), and also with specific server requirements in mind
(windows / php versions). Would a new site publishing downloadable blank
installations be useful?

As a typo3 beginner, I know I would have found this really handy, I
could have skipped weeks of trial and error. I would also require that
each installation is well documented so that users get a more detailed
picture of why the installation has been set up in a particular way, and
how it is to be used.

My name for this project was pimpmytypo3.com, but the domain's been
taken (doesn't look like there's much going on though)!

Does anyone else have a blank installation they'd like to publish? Is
this idea any good? Has someone tried it before?

Regards,

Ben