[TYPO3] Some facts about commerce

Thomas Hempel thomas at work.de
Mon May 15 09:44:12 CEST 2006

Hello,
in the last weeks we (the commerce team) got a lot of questions about commerce.
"When will it be released?", "Can we help with beta-testing?", "can we help with
developement?". First of all, we want to thank all of you who are interested in
the project and who are willing to help us. We know the releases was shifted
some times and we didn't talked too much in the public about the status of commerce.
To give you all a short overview about the status, I write this mail. We want to
inform you, why we declined the offers for help in the last weeks and when
commerce will be available. This is also the first time we state a release date.
Well, here are three facts about the project and what is going on right now:

1) communication.
To be honest, we don't answer here very often. It's simply a question of time.
It's fairly hard to keep track of all the threads here. But everyone is free
contact us by mail: team at typo3-commerce.org. An inofficial news-blog for
commerce can be found on http://www.typo3-unleashed.net. And last but not least
we update the project description on typo3.org from time to time
(http://typo3.org/development/projects/ecommerce-shop/).

2) Why we don't publish it now?
Some weeks (months) ago, we asked for some beta tester. That days we found some
who where willing to test and contribute. Currently we have round about 10
people/companies using the shop. These testers doing a good job, but we can't
support them as we would like to do. So we decided to close the beta group. This
doesn't mean that don't want to have new testers, (testing is always good) but
the point is, that we are three people and we can't support an unlimited number
of testers in that quality we want.

3) When will a first version be public?
We want to have a few more things in the first public version. We are currently
waiting for some projects we gave to external groups. If this is done, we will
publish the first public version! As we never stated a concrete date in the
past, we do it now. We decided to finish a first version for publishing in the
first half of june!

We hope, that this answers some of your questions and that still interested in
the commerce project. :-)

Best regards,
Thomas Hempel (commerce-team)