[TYPO3] Using $TCA to globally override sort and size of all FE Group select boxes?

John Kallies jkallies at majorninth.com
Thu Mar 30 20:58:33 CEST 2006

My primary goal is to have all FE group select dropdowns in the Back End
be a certain number rows, ordered by fe_group.title. I want a consistent
appearance that fits a client's level of  FE group complexity (globally
show more rows for a client with more FE groups, and just a few for a
smaller client).

I've read through almost all postings with TCA in the title, and I've
got the general gist of it, but I apparently am not connecting all the
dots in my mind yet. I _do_ know how to edit the $TCA to change the size
and the foreign_table_where in tbl_cms and for a given extension.

One critical problem I want to avoid is losing the overrides when I
upgrade Typo3 source or an extension. I want/need to configure a global
override for _all_ instances of an FE group select dropdown. An OK
compromise would be to override all the $TCA for all extensions that use
FE groups in one file and reference it in localconf.php's
$typo_db_extTableDef_script. Ideally, I would prefer one global override.

I think I have all the right factors here, but I'm still not sure how to
put it together, and I haven't seen any examples that try to solve my
"global override" problem (none that I recognized at least).

Many thanks in advance,
John Kallies