[TYPO3] :: Typo3 Questions

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Mar 17 06:40:39 CET 2006

Hi Surajit,

Surajit wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>Some typo3 questions;
>
>(a)   If we have two sites (domains) www.domain1.com & www.domain2.com
>that I want to use typo3 with.
>
>Is it possible to have one typo3 installation to manage both sites or we
>need to have typo3 installed on each ?
>
>FYI I have two independent websites, and wondering if this is a
>possibility ?

It's done all the time. Just make a separate page tree for each site,
and place a domain record at the root of each tree for each domain.
(Click the root page icon, then choose "New" from the menu, then select
"Domain" from the right). You can view domain records in List view after
you add them. Then, just point both domains to the same public_html
directory. TYPO3 will sort them out.

>(b)   When they installed typo3 on a test area I setup for them, the
>Typo3 install script needs some folders have write permissions such as
>0777 or 0707. This is also similar for some folders in mambo. Question
>is when this folders are left with 0777 permissions, is there any
>trouble with security, since anyone can access?

Yes, with a capital Y-E-S. You should never run any website with your
pages set to 777 permissions. This is insecure. This means anyone can
read, write or execute your files, meaning they can write to them.
Meaning they can make changes to your files and write them back to the
original file. You should have your files set to be owned and grouped by
the web server user, and permissions set for 755 at most.

>What do you think when
>these folders are left this way? Especially for a normal open public
>site as opposed to the current one we're working on, which will be an
>Intranet.

I'd make the intranet files all 755 too, IMO. Let TYPO3 control who has
access to do what on your site, and take as many variables out of the
system as possible.  :)

Cheers!
Alex