[TYPO3] Upgrading 3.7 to 3.8

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Tue Mar 14 22:57:56 CET 2006

Hi Pat,

Patrick O'Hara wrote:

>I assume this has been asked before, so if someone can give me a link to the
>appropriate article, that's all I need.  I tried a couple of different seach
>approaches, but none of them are working at the moment.
>
>My question is what are the steps I should take to upgrade from typo3 3.7 to
>typo3 3.8?

Unless you have something goofy on your server, it should be a simple
matter:
1. re-link your source. You should have a link from typo3_src that
points to your typo3_src-3.7.0 source directory. Change this to link to
your new typo3_src-3.8.1 directory
2. make sure you move over any globally-installed extensions from your
typo3_src-3.7.0/typo3/ext/ directory to typo3_src-3.8.1/typo3/ext/
caveat: there are some new "system extensions", some of which were
originally just globally-installed extensions. Check your
typo3_src-3.8.1/typo3/sysext/ directory and don't duplicate those in
your typo3_src-3.8.1/typo3/ext/ directory. Most notable of these are the
tstemplate and taskcenter extensions.
3. delete your temp files from /public_html/typo3conf/
4. log into your install tool and go to "Database Analyser", then do a
"compare" of the main source. Then make all the updates.
5. next, go to the "Basic Configuration" section and scroll down to the
bottom. Click the "Generate random key" button to create an "Encryption
key:". Then click the "Update localconf.php" button to write it to the
localconf.php file.
6. check the installation manuals of all your loaded extensions to make
sure you don't have to upgrade to a new version that works in 3.8. Maybe
this should be step 1? :)
7. Log into your site and check it out.

Hope this helps.

Alex