[TYPO3] TS: BgrndColor of partially transparent GIFs when scalingwith IMG_RESOURCE

P H Vetch paul at qedstudio.com
Tue Mar 14 09:05:43 CET 2006

Hi there,

The problem you're having has to do with a limitation of the GIF format -
you can't have partial transparency (only 1 bit alpha supported, so a pixel
is either 100% transparent or 100% opaque).  The only format which will help
you is 24bit PNG, though this has it's own drawbacks (namely than the
transparency isn't supported by IE without some additional work).

For a handy illstrated explanation of the issue see the bottom of this page:

http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/rubberheaders/

There are plugins in TYPO3 which address the PNG support in IE, have a
search around.

Best

Paul