[TYPO3] Oh! the humanity ! [Joomla/Mambo]

stinky wizzleteet wizzleteet at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 14 08:41:12 CET 2006

I spent a good deal of the weekend getting to grips with typo3 and
templavoila, yesterday, in the spur of the moment I thought "hey why not
tinker with mambo for a wee bit?"

Within minutes I had 1. a site 2. a verrrry cool flash gallery
I spent the rest of the evening browsing for templates and components
*sigh*

I *am* doubting using typo3 now, I cannot deny that it is way more
flexible and the learning curve for me is, well a challenge.
However, one main gripe I have with typo3 is its speed.
Compared to joomla it is Really Slow.
My server is an old dual celeron 433 and I thought that was the reason
it was slow.

People, what magic can I do to speed up Typo3 ?

Meanwhile, I did have some gripes with joomla:
1: menustructures are not so easily understood, one needs to categorize
into sections, but these do not necessarily show up, one needs to edit
the menu and one *could* mess this up.
2: templates are abundant, but crap, usually table based. The good
templates need to be paid for.  However, designing your own is way less
of a pain than typo3, admittantly, templavoila is offering more leverage
for this issue.
3: good and bad at the same time: a *LOT* of website companies have
thrown themselves on template and component building. This is hurting
the opensource nature of the software. My admin sectrion sometimes has a
3dsMax-with-a-shitload-of-plugins feel too it, 3d users know what I mean.

my two cents,

wzzl