[TYPO3] TS: Supply minW/minH with a value from a register

Joerg Wagner - DigiLog multimedia usenet at digilog.de
Sun Mar 12 16:51:47 CET 2006

Well, I just dropped into the next similar restriction:
GIFBUILDER's maxWidth property is of data type "pixels" instead of "pixels /
stdWrap" (while e.g. GIFBUILDER.backColor on the other hand is "GraphicColor
/ stdWrap"). I need to restrict the length of a GIFBUILDER image to a
dynamic value, and there is no way to do that.

The fact that some of the TS object props allow for stdWrap properties and
others do not seems to be absolutely arbitrary and it will pose more and
more problems as tiled TemplaVoila designs are a quickly spreading concept.

As an example I have attached a screenshot ...
(Kachelung.png  -
http://bugs.typo3.org/file_download.php?file_id=1211&type=bug  )
...of a TV based Typo3 design that completely abandons the concept of column
based design in favour of a tile based approach. TV can handle such concepts
quite well meanwhile.
In my example all tiles are based on one universal FCE that allows for a
very elegant handling of the tiles. It allows to create tiles with different
widths and heights, background colors and background images.

But when you try to put this concept to work in Typo3, TS lets you run into
one dead end after the other, because it is often not possible to fill in
dynamic size and color attributes for various elements that are needed for
these tiles.
In times of column based design this was acceptable, as most of the props
(widths, heights, colors,...) needed for GIFBUILDER and other objects in the
columns had fixed values. But meanwhile this is changing rapidly, as my
example demonstrates.

The bottomline is that I humbly ask why not ALL basic TS data types allow to
obtain their values from stdWrap props. This would allow for a lot more
flexibility with dynamic designs like the one I attached. It would also make
the whole TS syntax more consistend (I currently spend a lot of time in
TSref just to find out which props allow for which kind of manipulation -
there is just no systematic principle to that).

Regarding how small the change was that Peter had to place to make minW and
minH stdWrappable, wouldn't it be a good solution to standardize all of the
TS data types to allow to be stdWrapped?!?

Or do I overlook any considerations that would limit this approach (like
performance issues)?

--
Cheers,
Jörg Wagner