[TYPO3] CSS woes

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 16:22:47 CET 2006

HI,

On 3/1/06, Patrick O'Hara <pdohara at practicalprogrammer.org> wrote:

<snip>

> Finally I have found that there are some non-printable characters in the
> HTML that is generated for my site.  They are in the header section.  You
> can look at them at (http://www.woodridge.cc).  I would like to not be
> producing these as they give my validators fits.
>
> BTW I am running typo3 v3.8.0.  Thanks for your help.

You mean the slashes at the ends of the meta elements, right? <meta .. />

Typo3 rather oddly sets a default html 4 transitional doctype in the
head, but includes hardcoded slashes to close empty tags such as
'meta'. The only actual solutions are

a) ignore it--it won't hurt anything
b) try to solve the problem with Tidy--see the "All Config" part of
the install tool
c) convert the pages to xhtml 1.0 transitional--there will likely be
very few other things to fix

If you try  (c), add these lines to your main TS template:

config.doctype = xhtml_trans
config.xmlprologue = none
config.xhtml_cleaning = all

For documentation on these and other useful tools, see the TSref [1]

-Christopher

[1] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/current/view/7/3/