[TYPO3] documentation in general

dave ashton dave at bassmedia.net
Fri Jun 30 23:29:22 CEST 2006

My rant and rave.!

Basically, I've been putting in 14 hour days for the last month to get a
site up and running with all the functionality the client wants.

Why 14 hour days? Mainly due to my lack of understanding on the typoscript
front.

If its not the extensions that I can't configure, its getting css or
javascript elements to work with typoscript.

Now i know I am slow on the uptake when it comes to programming in general
(I'm a designer firstly), but I think I have read tsref, typoscript examples
on the typo site, etc. and it is still an uphill battle, feeling at times,
impossible.

As someone who wanted a cms for ease of use and ease of creating
functionality in a self contained admin., typo is great, just a shock to
have to learn what is like another language on top of the other web
technologies, especially for what is a piece of software. (like having to
learn VB to write word documents.)

Now, I'm not saying, typoscript is bad or get rid of it (I know the
simple, use another cms!'), but it seems to me, simpler, more complete
documentation is needed in this area, almost something like 'typo3 for
dummies!'

Translations of most of the docs. From German to English could be some of
it, people documenting for free, also, but nothing is more frustrating than
going down a path with some technology, only to find, documentation is poor
and I feel bitty and not explained fully.

I think this is a symptom in general from programming documentation and
tutorials. When you understand something well, you tend to miss out in the
explanation aspects you take for granted or find very simple, where others
or people with less understanding, have no clue about. This I find with a
lot for teach yourself books.

It also seems 99.9% of all postings on the mailing list are from lack of
understanding of typoscript and how it works.

All these people cannot be thick or stupid. But the mailing list is like a
programmers forum now, asking for snippets of code. Almost like, ' how will
this class work in that class, etc.')

I feel more simpler information is needed and if a plugin is publicly
available it should be documented and only available if stable.

Is it just me finding typoscript is worse than learning a new programming
language?

Do others feel the same or I am being thick and it is my lack of being able
to learn technical information? (which I know is the case in some areas!)

Dave