[TYPO3] (no subject)

Chris Paige chris at ready-set-go.biz
Tue Jun 27 16:29:57 CEST 2006

Hi Jamie,

I ran a single installation for many months, while I was using shared
hosting (with unlimited add-on domains allowed) to get oriented to TYPO3.
It allowed me to efficiently use my disk space to host many websites. I had
at least 7 websites running in there -- though none was very high in
traffic.  cc_awstats can certainly do stats by domain.

One additional con I would mention is that when errors of significance
happen, it may impact all of the websites.  So say I adjust localconf.php or
install a new extension that causes the installation to crash.  Well, then
it's not just one site that crashes. It's all of them hosted on that
installation.  (I manage to do that regularly while making adjustments to
realurl

Also the mySQL database became VERY large.  Still functional, but restoring
a full backup without command line mySQL access was rather problematic.
The more extensions used (with fields added), the larger the db would grow.
I don't think there is any way to make an extension apply only to one site
or another.  The tables are shared which means extension adjustments apply
to all.

With higher traffic or many more websites, you would have to start thinking
about how all of the websites and every page served would all be accessing
that same mySQL database.  This could be a bottleneck, depending on volume.
I never had trouble, but like I said I had low traffic.

Once I got a reseller account and now a virtual private server, I started
doing seperate installs for seperate websites.  It's cleaner and easier to
maintain that way. I still use the multiple domain functions to manage
subdomains and alternate (parked) domains.  But everything in the install is
related.  Actually, I do still run a few (three) small websites on a single
installation.  I could imagine using a single installation for multiple
independent but similar websites that use the same extensions and such.  But
if you have access to VDS or dedicated, I would recommend seperating things
out -- unless you have good reason to combine.

Chris