[TYPO3] is 404 handling like microsoft.com possible with typo3?

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon Jun 12 15:27:08 CEST 2006

Surer,

I use the method found here:
http://www.rvantwisk.nl/typo3-snippets/page-404-and-301-handling.html

Let me know if you have problems with the php code on the page.
I still can't get the RTE to respect code..... I can send it to do.

The only think it doesn't do it keep the URL bar the same, it does do a
redirect to a other page
But it does send you a correct 404.

Ries
> All,
>   I am trying to do something that I thought would be pretty simple -
> when a NotFound page is accessed, I would like the URL bar of the
> browser to remain on the URL that was accessed, the status returned to
> be 404, and the contents of the page that are returned to be the typo3
> Sitemap page I have (/site_map/) - as an added bonus, it would be nice
> to say "Sorry, page you requested was not found" up on top, but not
> needed.  This is exactly what www.microsoft.com and www.apple.com do
> currently, so I'll take that as a sign of "it's not a dumb idea to do
> this."
>   So far, the closest I could figure out to get to the desired
> behavior is to set $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['FE']['pageNotFound_handling'] to
> the full sitemap url - returns 301 (or 302?) followed by 200, NOT 404
> - the result is that the URL in the browser changes and the search
> engines get the wrong response code.
>   I've read a multitude of posts on this list, on various forums,
> blogs, and others on 404 handling in typo3.  It seems everyone
> continues to have problems with this, and no one has "the answer".  I
> am writing here in case people DO have the answer, and it's just lost
> in mailing list archives/google amongst the thousands of resopnses
> that .. are wrong or not helpful.
>   Thanks!

Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer