[TYPO3] Danish characters in GMENU on UTF-8 encoded site

Oleg L. Sverdlov oleg at ols.co.il
Fri Jun 2 22:27:28 CEST 2006

Jochen,

 From my (limited) knowledge you don't have to enable them both. I am
using mbstring on hebrew/russian/english/arabic website.

AFAICS there are two different modules with the same functionality

from docs:

Iconv.

This module contains an interface to iconv character set conversion
facility. With this module, you can turn a string represented by a local
character set into the one represented by another character set, which
may be the Unicode charcter set

mbstring

mbstring provides these multibyte specific string functions that help
you deal with multibyte encodings in PHP, which is basically supposed to
be used with single byte encodings. In addition to that, mbstring
handles character encoding conversion between the possible encoding pairs.

You can also set 'recode' which is an interface to GNU Recode. It is not
available on Windows.

I checked mbstring on linux and php 4.4 and both mbstring and iconv on
windows with php 4.4. They are working mostly OK.

Hope this helps.

Oleg.