[TYPO3] Joomla! vs. Typo3

Ryan Off ryan at ryanoff.com
Thu Jul 20 23:43:26 CEST 2006

Dave, you shared my thoughts exactly. I used Mambo for just over a
year (and still using it for my personal site until I switch it over
to Typo3). I've even thought about going back to it recently as well.
I like the simplicity of Mambo. Lot's of plug-and-play extensions,
etc. It's quite easy to configure a nice site with a lot of added
functionality (gallery, front end users, document management,
newsletters, etc). The problem is that as you mentioned, it is hard
to customise the extensions. As my PHP skills are much better than my
Typoscript skills, I don't mind going in to the source code and
changing around the PHP files. For me that was a lot less time
consuming than struggling with Typoscript.

Managing a large site is not a problem, but ONLY IF that large site
has a lot of similar content. Meaning that if you can create a few
categories you can have a lot of pages that are dynamically generated
by only adding new content items. Making a 100+ page site is quite
easy to manage, but only when 90% of it is very similar with only
changed content.

For me, the selling point of Typo3 is the intuitive backend structure
using Pages with content items. If Mambo (or another CMS) did this,
then I would definitely look in to changing to rid myself of the
Typoscript (and other bugs/configuration) problems I have with Typo3.
So thus, I'm sticking with the enormous learning curve with the hopes
that one day I will finally understand Typo3 and website creation
will be a snap. I've been using a low-end commercial CMS at work with
uses a page structure in the backend. It's quite nice, but definitely
lacks a lot of features/modules/etc which Typo3 has.

My recommendation would be that if you would like an easy to setup
site with similar content, then go with Joomla/Mambo (or Drupal)
which are category/section based. The mambo community is also really
great at helping you with configuration problems (a bit more young
and fun, although more un-professional than the corporate/intelligent
feeling I find with Typo3). Of course as you know, the Typo3
community is quite active and nice as well. But if you want high
power/flexibility or the ability for content creators to understand
the page structure (which as I mentioned is a HUGE benefit to Typo3)
then buckle down your boots and learn Typo3. Both CMSes have many
strong points and if they were both a bit like each other all of us
would be better off (no mambo backlash here please.. I'm praising
both systems). Try them out and let us know how you feel.

For me, I'll stick with Typo3 for now (although I'm going to give
Drupal a test run in a few days).

enjoy..

Ryan