[TYPO3] TYPO3 Server load

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Thu Jul 20 10:26:43 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Olivier Dobberkau schrieb:
>>
>> btw: more ram and no pconnects to mysql...
>
> Why are non-persistent connections faster?!?

There was an explanation about it somewhere (probably it was SQL
performance book from a guy who did PHP projects for Yahoo but I am not
sure). It is related to resources, memory, etc.

At least I noticed two things with persistent connections:
- they never die, so number of connections to mysql increases and
reaches finally its limit
- if code does not use mysql_free_result (and typo3 usually does not!),
Apache memory usage grows. I think this memory is associated with
connection and thus not freed implicitly.

It all goes away as soon as pconnects are disabled. I was able to
decrease load on my server when disabled pconnect's in php.ini for
everyone. Memory usage dropped, swapped size decreased (finally I turned
swap off completely), loadavg decreased from ~3.5 to ~1.5. It is a busy
server you know ;)

Dmitry.