[TYPO3] IBM evaluates TYPO3: a bit non-professional ?

Valery Romanchev romanchev at typo3lab.ru
Sat Jul 15 10:19:39 CEST 2006

Hi All
I just read an article "Using open source software to design, develop, and
deploy a collaborative Web
site".
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/i-osource1/

IMHO this article is a bit non-professional in its TYPO3 part:

TYPO3 is absolutly not good for "a collaborative Web site" with treaded
discussions
in comparison with Drupal.

Drupal has this as basis and was designed with collaboration in mind.
TYPO3 was made for corporate content management.

TYPO3 has BackEnd and FrontEnd users, it looks like IBM guys have no time to
understand this and

importance of this for consept of the site.

Look at the text:

 Typo3 is big. Big application. Big community. Big adoption. Big list of
extended features and

contributions. The learning curve is big, too. There is no doubt that Typo3
could do all we required, but

there seemed to be other issues in addition to complexity.

The markup generated by a lot of the core and contributed modules used
structure from the mid to late

'90s, with lots of table layouts, not much use of effectively placed CSS ID
and class attributes, and

sometimes invalid structure. We wanted to use current best practices to keep
our development iterations

flexible, so this wasn't going to help timely development. The templating
system also seemed very complex

compared to other solutions. The time invested in understanding how to theme
the Web content outweighed

the power of the templating system.

The administrative interface felt awkward and old, especially compared to
Mambo. This was an important

consideration, because we needed to hand off the eventual administration of
the site.

If we'd had more time, Typo3 might have been an option. But, it seemed like
it needed a rewrite to keep it

fresh and competitive with other CMS that are emerging. It appears that the
issue of using standards based

xHTML and CSS is being addressed in the new version of Typo3.

I do not understand about xHTML and CSS: is this statement about TYPO3
BackEnd?
If about frontend - this is not correct.

Valery Romanchev
www.typo3lab.com