[TYPO3] SPAM-LOW: Re: Typo3 vs other CMSs

Nagita Karunaratne nagita.k at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 20:38:17 CEST 2006

On 7/12/06, Christoph Herrmann <cherrmann at lemon-digital.com> wrote:

> I don't think any of my
> clients would ever manage to learn Typo3. One example:
>
> One client of mine wants different templates for different pages. In
> Joomla he just clicks and assigns a template to a page. In Typo3 he
> would need to learn TypoScript and all sorts of stuff.
>
> Basically in Joomla my client can switch on and off all sorts of stuff
> and readf the docs and learn how to use it.

Your client sounds like they are doing the job of a developer. Why does site
maintenance require changing the template and turning on/off functionality?
That sounds like site redesign and it your job not the editor's.

Site maintenance to me means adding/editing/deleting content.

- I'd make a list of all tasks editors typically would do. For example,
'edit the content in the second paragraph of the 'About Us' page.'
- Then ask your client to do it.
- If they cannot then there may be a problem.

If you can hide modules and restrict access to pages how much more simple
can you get.

I looked at the Mambo demo for just ten minutes but it seems less counter
intuitive. For example I did not know how the pages in the site was
organized and which content was in which page.

If you know AutoCAD you will know that all operations follow the same theme.
Typically you 'select and element', then 'select an operation to act on the
element', and sometimes 'provide additional input parameters that the
operation may need'. TYPO3 follows this to some extent.