[TYPO3] SPAM-LOW: Re: Typo3 vs other CMSs

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Wed Jul 12 14:25:43 CEST 2006

Ryan Off wrote:

> Unfortunately, not many of the extensions are built to be plug-and-
> play. I am a strong believer that simplicity is power and Typo3
> strongly lacks simplicity. I would really like to see a movement in  the
> Typo3 community to make extensions more simple. My thoughts are  that
> any extension should be plug-and-play with only a few clicks to  run the
> normal basic installation, then if you want more options/ flexibility,
> then you would go to the documentation. I see the Typo3  core as the
> problem.

I don't believe so. Plugins could be easily preconfigured or just
including one addition TS template would be enough.
Endeed some features might need to know additional page information.
That can't always be preconfigured.

> Even though I am negetive here, I must say that I adore Typo3's page
> tree view of your site and how you add content items to it. And how  to
> move them around, etc. That is the best part about Typo3 and one  reason
> why I haven't switched back to anything else.

I love those features too.

> Another major Typo3 problem is bugs. I have found a tremendous amount
> of them in all sorts of extensions.

don't blame Typo3 itself if the extension is not made by core people.
It is easy to publish plugins - also very buggy ones.

>> One client of mine wants different templates for different pages. In
>> Joomla he just clicks and assigns a template to a page. In Typo3 he
>> would need to learn TypoScript and all sorts of stuff.

true for template designing

>> Basically in Joomla my client can switch on and off all sorts of stuff
>> and readf the docs and learn how to use it. With Typo3 he wouldn't  even
>> understand the first 5 lines of any doc I've read so far, and I really
>> have read a LOT.

depends on plugin - many plugins don't need special instructions.