[TYPO3] ImageMagick, GraphicsMagick... which image library to use?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Jul 8 16:23:16 CEST 2006

Hi Robert,

> I am wondering which graphic library works best Typo3 4.0? Not too long
> ago there was/is ImageMagick with all its upgrade and performance
> problems, now I often hear recommendations for GraphicsMagick. Which one
> do you prefer and why? Is GraphicsMagick faster than IM? Is it fully
> compatible with IM and Typo3 4.0?
> Opinions anyone?

GM is a fork of IM and therefore contains the same functionality. Regarding
TYPO3 there is no big difference since latest IM releases seem to be as
stable as GM is.

The big advantage of GM is that a) I am sure the API won't change anymore,
and b) that TYPO3 detects it automatically [1] with no further need for
testing switches and parameters. Just remember and compare this with the IM
mess we had for such a long time...!

- michael

[1] If it's not located in $PATH then you just have to specify this
    manually...
--
Use a newsreader! Check out