[TYPO3] lib vs temp in setup?

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 14:22:30 CEST 2006

> It is all in the docs.
Thanks! ;-)

Do you know of any more detailed practical examples of the use. The
following extract from TSref does not help me know 100% what it means in
practice.

>“temp” and “styles” are used for conde-libraries you can copy
>during parse-time, but they are not saved with the template in cache.
>"temp" / "styles" are unset before the template is cached! Therefore
>use these names to store temporary data.
>“lib” can be used for a “library” of code, you can reference in
>TypoScript (unlike “styles” which is unset)

For example I have historically used temp for everything including menus and
now I want to challenge why I am doing this. Is it better to store
everything in lib or stick with temp.

Presumably temp reduces the cache file sizes as these are not stored and so
improves performance however, by not caching means it needs to be parsed
again and so reducing performance.

TSBYEX suggests using temp for general objects yet stdheader is included as
a lib yet there seems no specific reason why.

Thanks
Matthew

Agent Brown "Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions".