[TYPO3] "Survey": are you using TYPO3 workspaces?

christian reiter cr at n-o-s-p-a-m-cxd.de
Fri Jul 7 15:35:42 CEST 2006

Hello,

Since these client projects started at a time when Typo3 3.6 was coming out,
we have already had to solve this problem anyway, without workspaces. The
strict file separation was simply done with a separation of the staging and
live server, either in two different paths or on two different machines.
Seperation into two servers was the preferred system that these clients were
accustomed to anyway, and some also required it explicitly.

When Workspaces were introduced we evaluated them in comparison to these
projects but it became clear that we would not migrate these existing
clients to the workspace solution.

Being able to control not only the content but also the layout was very
important since it is common that a website or part of a website is
redesigned or has changes to the template, and these need to be evaluated by
the different departments at the client company just like the content.

Right now we simply have the situation that our traditional clients who want
staging are looking in the direction of server separation. This does not
make the workspaces a bad solution, it just means that it is not the right
solution for these specific clients (who are mostly pharmaceutical
companies, and have some requirements that are not typical of most TYPO3 use
cases anyway). Trying to change the workspaces to fulfill our requirements
seems even more complicated than the work we did to set up the page/branch
oriented Test-to-Live server publishing solution for these clients.

Greetings,

Christian Reiter

"Martin Kutschker" <Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag