[TYPO3] Extending Existing Extensions

Sebastian Fuchs sebastian at hexerei.net
Thu Jul 6 18:48:29 CEST 2006

Hi Marco,
as far as i know there are two typo3 concepts of extending other
extensions. the two buzz words are XCLASSes and Hooks.
there is an article by robert lemke about hooks:
http://typo3.org/development/articles/how-to-use-existing-hooks/

these hooks have to be implemented in the extension themself. i dont
know tt_products at all so i cant tell you if there are any (probalby
there is a different way of doing it with tt_products).

so to override one function you could use XCLASSes.
for index_search this would look like this:

in ext_localconf.php of your extension you register your xclass:

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS[TYPO3_MODE]['XCLASS']['ext/indexed_search/pi/class.tx_indexedsearch.php']
= t3lib_extMgm::extPath($_EXTKEY).'class.ux_tx_indexedsearch.php';

your xclass would than exend the original class:

class ux_tx_indexedsearch extends tx_indexedsearch {...}

and overrides the desired function.

hope it helps,
sebastian