[TYPO3] SEO rankings after redesigning site for TYPO3

Bill Alexy bill at psiberware.com
Tue Jan 17 05:53:21 CET 2006

Matthew Manderson wrote:
> Bill
>
> You will get problems and it is good you have started to pick them up for
> discussion.
>
> If you want me to do a proper review you will need to pay me because it will
> take time.
>
> In the worst case he will lose most of the sales originating from natural
> search results and so expert help will minimise this.
>
> I spent a few minutes looking at the current site, and the new site.
>
> This example illustrates the problems:
>
> There is a page that refers to label software. Here are the two versions.
>
> current version:
> http://www.sheetlabels.com/cdsoftware2.htm
> proposed version:
> http://www.redrocketbooster.com/~admin/index.php?id=81
>
> Looking at these pages you can see that the new proposed page is very bad by
> comparison to the current.
>
> i. The url is changed. You do mention using realurl but you did not explain
> your implementation of it. You will want to retain the exact url. It can be
> done.
> ii. The linking to it from the root page is too deep.
> iii. The actual text is changed and much reduced as well as adding a lot of
> other non relevant text.
>
> My opinion, you will lose that current page rank of 3/10 and you might not
> get it back. The change is too great and it is no longer the same page.
>
> There is no use adding a fancy redirect to the new version of the page.
> Google will reply, Thanks for letting me know you have moved your page, let
> me have a look. Oh dear, this no longer looks like the same page, far too
> different let me re-evaluate the page rank based on current factors. Sorry
> I can only give you a 1/10 for this.
>
> This is typical of the whole proposed site.
>
> The next area your client will need to be aware of is web site conversion.
>
> You really should take expert help on A/B testing to ensure the new design
> still converts sales. I have seen a few situations where a new website
> causes sales to drop dramatically.
>
> There are tools and techniques to roll out your new site in a measured way
> to minimise the risk of this fallout.
>
> Sorry if this all sounds like bad news. It just depends on your objectives
> for the site.
>
> The good news is you are unlikely to lose the home page PR of 3 while you
> have those incoming links and so with careful internal linking you will be
> able to transfer the PR around the new pages but it will take time,
> anywhere up to a year but more typically 6 months.
>
> Good luck and plan carefully,
>
> Matthew

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your reply. I always look forward to your advice. We can
email back and forth regarding a formal review of the site. Please use
my email address at bill at redrocketbooster.com

My plans for RealURL are to render pages as used on www.psiberware.com
with an html extension (please, forgive the amateurish design of the
site, it was handed to me as is and I'm looking forward to overhauling
it completely)

I have had much advice on using Google Sitemaps which I've incorporated
  into Psiberware, but I'm always a little skeptical about converting a
working site from a working system to a proprietary system (i.e. the fox
watching the hen house) So I have some concerns that if I use Google's
Sitemap it might throw a whole new variable into the mix and ruin any of
Sheetlabel.com's current rankings. Is this thought warranted?

Best regards,
Bill