[TYPO3] greek characters displayed as question marks

Christoph Singer singer at webagentur72.de
Tue Jan 10 13:37:03 CET 2006

hi all,

I have a strange problem in Typo3 3.8.0.
I have set
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["BE"]["forceCharset"] = 'utf-8'
and all my data in the database is in UTF-8.

When I check the display encoding in the browser, it is also "UTF-8".

All western characters (german umlauts etc.) are displayed correctly,
but when I enter greek characters they are displayed as ???? in the
frontend.
No, it's not the browser or a missing greek font, there are really
questions marks in the html code sent to the browser.

And it's really only in the frontend, in the backend the greek
characters are shown as expected, and in the database they are also OK
(phpmyadmin shows them correctly).

I guess there is some conversion done somewhere in the content or page
processing. Can anyone give me some hints where to look for this?

I played around with some TS config like
	metaCharset = utf-8
	renderCharset = utf-8
but no change.
If I don't set neither metaCharset nor renderCharset, but
['BE']['forceCharset'] to "UTF-8", no conversion at all should be done
when generating and outputting the page, right? Where could this
conversion happen?

Thanks,
Christoph