[TYPO3] [Typo3] How large of website can typo3 handle?

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Thu Jan 5 09:01:58 CET 2006

Dennis Cheung wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> I have read
> http://typo3.org/development/articles/testing-and-tuning-typo3-performance/
> before.
> I really wanted to ask is, what else, any else, I can do "inside
> typo3" other than tweaking "outside typo3". Anything or Nothing??
> (even rewrite source code)

I would say apart from the mentioned "cache-all" nothing in TYPO3 can
really be done for effective performance tuning. It all boils down to
being premature optimization. If you really are limited by your TYPO3
installation (so page rendering is slow even with caching working), you
need a different setup (the best is with a proxy and dedicated db- and
TYPO3 machines.).

> How should I know who is/are the "performance killer"?

Everything that is not a plugin (=limited to some pages), and called
with every page request. There are some link or html transforming
("cleaning", etc.) extensions that hook up there and are slow. It's also
very bad to have non_cached news on your frontpage, etc.

> I have read some document, I can categorize the skill into 2 type.
>  1. content cache, page cache, proxy cache
>  2. php optimizer / mysql/apache tweaking
> any else?

No. Actually one of our major points is that everything else can be
disregarded as being little effective and efficient.

> Three more question,
> http://typo3.org/development/articles/the-mysteries-of-chash/
> http://typo3.org/development/articles/the-mysteries-of-chash/page/3/
>
> If I have a plugin using "&no_cache=1 (slow)"
> how to rewrite it into "USER_INT (medium)" or "&cHash (fast)"
> I didn't found any live example.

read
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-dev/2005-September/012016.html
and following

> What is "no_cache" really mean?
>  do not try reading from cache?
>  do not write to cache?

AFAIK, both. But the bottleneck really comes from the first: Do not read
anything from cache and render the page completely again.

> should mysql installed on same machine(reduce network delay)
> or install them on two machines(if total cost are equals)

If you need to scale, definitely use a dedicated MySQL machine. You can
then put multiple web-servers in front of the database. If you use
persistent connections, you will not be limited by networking overhead
in a local lan.
  If after tuning the MySQL server (with enough RAM and caching) the db
is still really the bottleneck, you're screwed and need more advanced
solutions. But I have never seen such a huge TYPO3 site.

> I feel I have asked so many stupid question. Am I?

No, but I'm not sure if you should worry about tuning so early. Unless
you happen to run slashdot or blogger.com, you should stick to the old
saying: performance is not a problem until performance is a problem.

Cheers,
Michael