[TYPO3] Server - big enough (Athlon 1.2ghz)?

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Jan 4 18:26:50 CET 2006

Stig Nørgaard Færch wrote:

> So the biggest question is - if when the serverload is low or not
> significant - will the responsetime be acceptable with this server, -
> will a Athlon 1200mhz cut it for TYPO3? What should I expect?

Once you do optimize for low memory, the server should work even with TYPO3.

- make everything cacheable in TYPO3,
- if that is not enough, put a proxy in front of the website to make it
*really* fast. We're currently testing with apach2+mod-proxy as a
frontend to apache1 mod_php using Cache Control headers.
- since memory is valuable for you, consider using a *very* little
number of processes for TYPO3, or even lighttpd with 1 or 2 fastcgis.
- optimize MySQL and PHP caches for your needs. If your sites are not
that big, MySQL will not be the bottleneck.

Cheers,
Michael

PS: The BE will be quite slow anyway, so disable the PHP cache for it
and save memory!