[TYPO3] fe_mp3player duplicates mp3 files

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Tue Jan 3 00:01:46 CET 2006

Mario Sargac wrote:

> I understand it copies the local file to a server, but when I point to
> the file in typo3 fileadmin folder it just makes another copy of it in
> its /uploads/tx_femp3player/ folder. The problem is when there's many
> files because it's not possible to organize them in folders.

It is a standard behaviour of T3 to copy used files to uploads/tx_extensionkey/

the reason is simply to avoid the deletion of a used file. As T3 didn't have reference
information until now (4.0) where and how often a file is used it wasn't possible to
determine wheter a file was allowed to get delted or not (think what happens when you
delete a file which still get's used in the news on your frontpage and the nice red X
of IE :)

the only possiblity to work around this currently is to use the DAM (digital asset management)
extension and it's "sub" extension dam_ttcontent which implements the feature you reqiurie
(direct usage) but just for tt_content fields (you could have a look at it and use it for
your mp3player extension)

greets
Bernhard