[TYPO3] Images and other large files on remote machine

Neil Bertram neil at nospam.tasmanstudios.co.nz
Tue Feb 28 11:22:45 CET 2006

Martin Rud wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> We will like to run TYPO3 on our own server (so we can configure it the
> way we want!). But this servers internet connection has a low upload
> speed (256 kbits/s or so).
>
> We have access to another server with high upload speed but this server
> we cannot control/configure much.
>
> So we want to run the TYPO3 installation on our "low speed server" and
> have the large file (upload images, documents an so on) on the "high
> speed server".
>
> Is that possible? How to set it up? (for instance one particular problem
> is that IM has to create thumbs and so on on "our" server and place them
> on the remote server)
>
> BTW; this may be a stupid question; I am not very good at server
> administration... :o)
>
> Regards, Martin

This sounds generally difficult. You'd probably have to mount the
high-speed server into the typo3temp and uploads directories on the slow
server, which would require a reasonable amount of access to the
high-speed server (such as exporting appropriate NFS mounts).

As for getting typo3 to serve images off an alternate server, you're
going to have trouble. config.absRefPrefix might be one place to start,
but I think that might also prefix the links with the other server too.
You may actually have to hook the frontend output and rewrite image
links to make that work.

You could possibly simulate the remote mount with a periodic FTP/SCP
upload of uploads and typo3conf, but then images for content would be
delayed a bit.

The cleanest way overall would be to run Apache in forward proxy mode on
the high-speed server, but once again you'd need access to the Apache
configuration of the high-speed host for that.

Someone else might know a better way?

Neil