[TYPO3] Realurl and "umlauts" ÄÖÜ => aou

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Thu Feb 23 13:49:17 CET 2006

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Another problem is of course the obvious language dependency (eg Finnish
> vs German), but it gets worse with languages written in Cyrillic (and
> then it even begins to be a matter of style!).

True, this is much worse :( Many even in Russia and abroad know the name
"Khodorkovsky" though natural transliteration from Russian will be
Hodorkovskiy (Ходорковский). But when I see "kholodilnik" instead of
"holodilnik" (refrigerator, холодильник), I am in shock. Noone writes
like this in translit. To understand why it is shocking, try to
pronounce "hokey" as "ckhokee". Shocked? :)

I think noone invented good solution for transliteration of cyrillic
characters yet...

In fact Masi did a good job with translitearation, there are just so
many different languages to perfectly cover them all.

Dmitry.