[TYPO3] Realurl and "umlauts" ÄÖÜ => aou

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Thu Feb 23 09:46:28 CET 2006

Kari Salovaara schrieb:
> Kari Salovaara wrote:
>
>> In civilized countries it is a bug.
>>

> I have to explain:
>
> 1) umlauts (ä,ö,å) are accepted in domain names.

Only if you use IDNL, but anyway your examples are not about domains but URLs.

> 2) if You say:
> http://domainname/säästä/on/keskustelu
> it means; these is a discussion of weather
> http://domainname/saasta/on/keskustelu
> it means: shit, there is a discussion
> and
> http://domainnam/saeaestae/on/keskustelu
> doesn't mean anything and even for finn it's
> hard to understand.
>
> Maybe this makes the internationalizing of Typo3
> so hard ?

Yes, because as I have explined earlier ae IS the correct way for written
German.

I'm not sure what Johannes is exactly trying to do, but it seems that it
has nothing trying to do with normal German spelling.

And I do care about i18n, so I'll think about a solution, that makes it
easy to manage the transliteration.

Currently there is only one master routine for a complete TYPO3
installation, that is used for all kind of stuff. Perhaps it would be nice
to use different "settings" so to get ä=>ae for German URLs but ä=>a for
those "tagwords".

Another problem is of course the obvious language dependency (eg Finnish vs
German), but it gets worse with languages written in Cyrillic (and then it
even begins to be a matter of style!).

Masi