[TYPO3] RealURL and HTTP Authentication

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Dec 20 00:19:07 CET 2006

I've been experiencing some strange issues with RealURL (specifically
mod_rewrite) and HTTP Authentication through additional .htaccess files
so I'm hoping someone else has experienced the same issues and is
smarter than me :)

I'm using the standard .htaccess file for RealURL in the main directory
of my site.
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^(typo3|typo3temp|typo3conf|t3lib|tslib|fileadmin|uploads|showpic\.php)/ - [L]
> RewriteRule ^typo3$ typo3/index_re.php [L]
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l
> RewriteRule .* index.php [L]

In a subdirectory, I require authentication to access the folder and
this authentication is setup through a separate .htaccess file. When I
remove the .htaccess file from the main directory, I am prompted for a
username and password.  When I enable the main .htaccess file, I instead
get a 404 page.  It seems like this is because the RewriteCond rule
decides there is not a file when it gets the 401 header.

I've tested this on several servers with the same version of Apache and
in some cases it does work while at other times it does not.

Has anyone else seen similar issues?

Thanks,
Jeff