[TYPO3] spamprotect/human intervention

Chris Paige system at chrispaige.info
Tue Dec 19 09:10:59 CET 2006

Hello all,

I worked out the mailto redirect approach outlined in the recent spamprotect/jumpurl thread on this list.  However, I did not like some of the side-effects of the implementation.  So I've continued searching for a better mousetrap (a non-javascript solution to cloak mailto addresses).

Here's what I've come up with.

- I replace the mailto: link with a http link to specified target page (something like a jumpurl)...
- I pass the email address in 2 encoded strings so it is not easily visible (though not bullet proof)
- The target page has a plugin that decodes the encoded strings and requires the website visitor to submit a simple form before revealing the address.

This is simpler than a CAPTCHA form and should also be accessible for those who are using screen readers, etc.  All the coding and decoding occurs server-side.

The approach would operate similar to this page/email: http://neuro.physik.uni-marburg.de/?id=Mitarbeiter.thomas

Does anyone have feedback on this approach?  It's rather unusual... but is fairly easy to implement in TYPO3.

Chris

P.S. I would not implement the random fake email addresses in the sample page