[TYPO3] TypoScript by Example (documentation has holes in it)

dave ashton dave at bassmedia.net
Fri Dec 15 12:39:25 CET 2006

Hi,
Shhhhh........don't mention the documentation, its taboo!!
The topic of typo3's documentation, has been discussed may times, with
positive and negative opinions.
I'm only responding as I still class myself as only a low level typo3 user
and still need help after 2 years of typo3 use.

Personally, I picked up the bulk of my typo3 knowledge from reading the
Modern Template Building, Part 1, etc., adding, plugins then seeing what
they do, then looking round the net for tutorials and resources, finally
buying the book!

I got a basic site working with Template Auto-Parser, CSS Styled Content and
HTML/CSS Styling plugins. (maybe not the best way, but it seems to work)
Along the way, I wrote a 'cheat sheet' of how to install these plugins and
what things to configure in the install tool, how to design the template and
stick in the divs that brought in the content. Then and still finding out
whaat typoscript does/effects what and where to put it in the system (object
browser or setup.txt files)

As the software and most of the tuts. are German, I had to count on online
translators to get the information from the docs. and scrap around for bit
of typoscript that did certain jobs for me.
A lot of my typo3 development has been plain trail and error. However, the
more you play with typo3, the easier it does get (honestly!)

The biggest stumbling block for me and I think for others, is fully
understanding typoscript.
As I'm not a programmer and only understand basic programming principles, I
find typoscript hard to understand.(blah, blah all the comments that follow
for typoscript!)

I bought the official typo3 book and it does go some way to explain things,
but the examples did need 'customising' a bit to work with the way my typo3
sites are setup. (many ways to setup a site so many options, thus can be
confusing for the beginner.)

Basically, if you think you will use typo3 a lot for building sites,sites
that can be built from the ground up with exactly what you want, then it's a
winner.
Below are some links which maybe of some help. Just take your time, try
things one at a time.
http://www.mcuniverse.com/05/TYPO3.31.0.html

http://www.typo3board.com/

http://www.just2b.com/meintypo3.html

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=ht
tp%3a%2f%2fwww.sk-typo3.de%2fHome.6.0.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.typo3tutorial
s.info/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtypo3%2Btuto
rials%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://forum.typo3.tros.nl/

http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/tag/Typo3

Hope this helps.

Regards,