[TYPO3] TypoScript by Example (documentation has holes in it)

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Dec 15 12:26:48 CET 2006

> I'm really going through all the documentation, but there seems to be
> missing/holes in a lot of it. The documentation is well written but
> the examples are very incomplete.
>
> I'm currently reading "TypoScript by Example" and these are my
> problems:
>
> page 5> where is this example "www.typo3.com" and "www.typo3.dk" that
> is being referred too. I have no way of interacting with it.

Kasper is referring to the old versions of these sites, that have been
managed by himself a few years ago. After all they are just examples and in
you would never have been able to do a live login at these sites anyway.

> page 9> ok, the documentation is not up to date with the current
> version, which makes it really hard to find an image on my "dummy"
> website that matches the "static template" view.. I found it after a
> long search.

So what? - Again: These are just examples to show you the basic principles.
The documentation states clearly:

<quote>
This may have changed for the current version of Typo3. But it's useful for
explain how it works:
</quote>

> page 13> top part of documentation page.. it's a menu being created..
> but where did the "Content elements", "Images", "USER", "Back to
> Startpage" and "Another Site..." webpages get created?? I seem to be
> missing something before doing this TypoScript by Example.

These are pages that you have to create in the page tree of your backend.
TypoScript is just used to create a frontend view of the page tree, content
elements and records that you created in the backend.

> page 13> bottom part of documentation page.. it refers to
> page.5 < temp.topmenu ... only problem where/what is temp.topmenu!! I
> never saw a point referring to it or creating it.
>
> I seem to be on the wrong track of this documentation.. can someone
> point me on the right track... I seem to be missing something..
> I have already read in this order "Modern Template Building, Part 1"
> and "TypoScript Syntax and in-depth Study".

If you want to use "TS by example" as a complete HowTo you are definitely on
the wrong track. It's just a collection of examples that can help you to
understand the principles behind TypoScript.

Usually you should start here:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_quickstart/current/

Then you should try this one:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_n1/current/

Followed by one of these depending on if you want to use TemplaVoila or not:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_templselect/current/
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_templselect2/current/

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_ftb1/current/

For all the docs after "Getting started", it might come in handy to have
these available:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/current/
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsconfig/current/

And only if you need some examples to see _one_ way how the stuff could be
done you should try "TS by example".

HTH

Joey

PS: If you are able to read German, the link below could be interesting too
;-)

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC/Xing: http://www.cybercraft.de