[TYPO3] sp_directory and utf-8 doesn't work correctly

Julo Ferianc jferianc at centrum.cz
Sun Dec 10 01:22:14 CET 2006

Hi Tomas,

as your original post is almost 10 months old, this would probably be
too late an answer for you. Nevertheless as I faced the same problem and
eventually found the solution, I'm posting it here for other users
reference.

The problem of sp_directory and accented characters lies within usage of
htmlentities() function in
ext\sp_directory\pi1\class.tx_spdirectory_pi1.php file. Try to remove
the function from rendering portions of code and voila: all chars in all
encodings are shown correctly. This solution (removing htmlentities) has
some other implications though, consider before applying.

Note, sp_directory has been dropped from TER allegedly for some obscure
security reason, the future of this enormously useful extension is unclear.

Julo