[TYPO3] Adding pages

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Fri Dec 8 02:35:39 CET 2006

Would it be out of line to suggest that the team should take a look at
the documentation from the perspective of a reasonably-experienced
website developer who have never used Typo3 before? Plop such a person
down at a computer and have him try to get started sometime.

I found several tutorials, and tried to follow a few of them. But they
all assume expertise that may or may not be available. For example,
unlike most tarballs, several of those that I downloaded early on saved
every file with root as the owner, and the documentation didn't include
setting ownership. Yes, I did see a comment somewhere about correct
ownership, but the Install tool just kept telling me a specific
directory wasn't writeable, so I just kept making one directory after
another world writeable before chowning the whole tree. I later
discovered the README.txt file does address this, but it seems that I
should be able to proceed with one set of instructions, not need to jump
around between different formats in different places.

So which tutorial should I choose? I notice you are recommending the FTB
tutorial in this message. Aha, that's the Futuristic Template Building
tutorial? Now that's a good idea. Too bad it's only available in French.
Oh wait! I can click on the link below the old Tricolor there and, what
do you know? It comes up in English. (Actually, I had tried to work
through that from another link rather than coming in through the
Tutorials page.)

    If the documentation webmaster is lurking here, the page where the
    flag should be changed from the French Tricolor to the Union Jack
    is:
    http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_ftb1/current/

But, alas, that doesn't bring great joy either. It appears to require a
set of files that are located in the doc_tut_ftb1 extension. Okay, back
to typo3.org, click on Extensions, enter doc_tut_ftb in the search box,
and, well, "Sorry, your search had no results." So drop back and search
for doc_tut, there are four results. Alas, one of them appears to be
German, and the other three are Nederlandstalige. Despite my last name,
I don't speak Dutch. Nor did my father or grandfather.

At various times along the way I seem to have downloaded
    quickstart-3.8.1.tar.gz
    testsite-3.8.8.tar.gz
    dummy-4.0.2.tar.gz
    typo3_src-4.0.2.tar.gz
I no longer have any idea which one I'm actually working from, although
I definitely am running 4.0.2.

If you'd care to point me to a specific page you think I should start
on, I'll happily wipe out everything that I've already created and start
over again.

Of course it would still be nice if someone would answer my other
question, the one that asked whether or not Typo3 is actually a tool
that will allow me to readily create websites for artists with the kind
of navigation and structure that I mentioned in my message yesterday. In
other words, should I be struggling to learn Typo3 at all?

Van

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>

>>This is correct. You did not create any DS/TO, so what do you expect? :)
>>

>By the way, why did not you simply do one of available tutorials exactly
>as they describe? You would never worry about such error if you do FTB
>tutorial.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/