[TYPO3] How could an image remain in its source directory and not copied to '/uploads/pics/'

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Dec 5 18:57:24 CET 2006

> By default, if is set in the BE for the Content Elements "Image" and
> "Image w/text", under Image options:
> - Image quality/processing --> None (ignore all these options)
> ...then the selected image is still copied from the source directory
> ('fileadmin/something/') to '/uploads/pics/'. Personally, I do no see
> the sense of this as the image will not be processed by IM or GD...
>
> I would like to achieve that in case the user checks the option
> - Image quality/processing to: None (image_quality==1)
> that the selected image stays in its source directory and is not
> copied to '/uploads/pics/'.
>
> Would this be possible by changing the TS?

No, since this is the default behaviour for all images of content elements
"image" and "image w/text". The reason is, that you might use the same image
with different elements. To make sure that the image will always be
available for each element even if the original is deleted, TYPO3 works with
copies - just like a real live editor would do, when he goes to the archive
to get some nice pictures. The original stays in the archive while the
working copies are used with the layout.

If you don't want to do it this way, you might want to take a look at the
DAM extensions.
There you can work with references instead of copies.

HTH

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC/Xing: http://www.cybercraft.de