[TYPO3] Proper 404 error handling?

Jason A. Lefkowitz jason at jasonlefkowitz.net
Mon Dec 4 16:11:09 CET 2006

Hey everybody...

I noticed this morning that recent versions of Typo3 (4.0.1 or greater)
apparently allow for proper headers (404) to be sent when a requested
page is missing.  I've been trying to get this to work using the
instructions on the News site
(http://news.typo3.org/news/article/typo3-4-0-1-404/), but I can't seem
to get it to work on my Typo3 site.  (I'm using 4.0.2.)

According to the instructions, I should be able to set this up by
creating a page in my site with the alias "404", then setting the
configuration variable ['FE']['pageNotFound_handling'] in localconf.php
to '/404/' (I use RealURL).

Well, I've tried this and even with everything set up, the system
doesn't do the right thing -- it throws a 301 Relocated instead of a
404, and sends the user to our home page.  (I've checked the headers
with Rex Swain's HTTP Viewer at http://rexswain.com/httpview.html to
confirm this.)

What am I missing?

-- Jason Lefkowitz