[TYPO3] Multilevel suckerfish menu

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Aug 30 15:54:43 CEST 2006

Hello Tapio,

> Hi
>
> I tried to create instead TMENU_LAYERS
> so-called suckerfish to this site
> http://www.novotek.fi/cms/index.php?id=748
> Well I found advice for 2-level.
> But I failed to get it work in three level.
> In addition menu on the right didn't work at all
> (menu_1a - on the left menu_1).
> I didn't found instruction 3-4 four level implementations.

First, you shouldn't make dropdown menus more than two level below the main
menu. Simply because they can be very difficult to navigate in with many
levels (for some with handicaps or/and older persons nearly impossible).
It's neither good usability or accessibility. In fact, both from usability
and accessebility point of view, dropdown menus should be avoided. It is
one of the reasons for MS big redesign of the userinterface in Office 2007.
And I haven't seen any instruction for more than two levels on the dropdown.

Also, if using more than one level dropdown, it's important to mark where
there are more levels. Look at the examples on Stu Nicholls site.

So if you need more, look at the design of the sitestructure, and maybe do
changes there.

But if you are going to use them, here is one implementation. http://www.mcuniverse.com/05/Horizontal_Bulletlist.57.0.html.
Another way is to use Stu Nicholls way to make them, http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/drop_examples.html,
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/index.html

Either way, you don't need to use TMENU_LAYER. Yoy can achieve it with TMENU
and the correct wrapping of the menuitems.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no