[TYPO3] 403 Forbidden on Link Addition in Plain HTML

Alex Palmer xanderx2 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:41:46 CEST 2006

Hey there,

I've been having a problem since Typo3 4.0, and I've almost pulled my hair
out as a result!

I frequently use Plain HTML content blocks on my site, and every once in a
while I need to add an external URI link.  I add the HTML as you'd expect,
with the href pointing to an address, e.g. "http://www.google.com/".
However, when I try to save the content block, I get a 403 Forbidden error
stating "You don't have permission to access /typo3/typo3/alt_doc.php on
this server".

After some testing, I found that it's the "http://" part that makes the
error usually occur, although the error doesn't appear every time I add an
external link.  I can't leave it out though, otherwise the link will point
to something internal (e.g. "example.com/www.google.com").

If I try to save a page and the error appears, the error will appear every
single time I try and save the page, meaning clicking Save loads of times in
the hope of it suddenly working gets me nowhere.

This forbidden error also happens when I add a non-breaking backspace
( ) when using the RTE (I use them for two spaces after a full-stop).
I'll live without the two spaces though, just not external links!

CHMOD permissions are mostly set to 755 for alt_doc.php and other files,
though I've tried combinations of 777 and 644 too.

I'm not sure if I can access the PHP error logs or if they even exist, nor
do I know where they are if they do.  I'm using Typo3 4.0.1, PHP 4.3.11,
MySQL 4.0.27 and Apache 1.3.34 on Unix.

Please help!  I think this is pretty much the only thing stopping the site
from being released to the masses. =(

Thanks in advance,

Alex