[TYPO3] ownership of uploads/

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 18:23:35 CEST 2006

Hello,

On 8/21/06, Cedric Sam <cedric.sam at savoirfairelinux.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am having errors when the backend attempts to copy files to the
> uploads/ directory. I inspected the ownership of the folder, and it is
> belonging to the local user. However, even with rights set to 777, I am
> getting errors:
>
> 1: Copying file
> '/home/intranet/public_html/fileadmin/templates/latestnews.htm' failed!:
> The destination path (/home/intranet/public_html/uploads/tx_ttnews) may
> be write protected. Please make it write enabled!.
> (tt_content:463:pi_flexform)
>
> Anyone has seen this before? Also, the user running the webserver is
> "nobody". I don't have access to root to change ownerships, etc,
> obviously...

Question: how do you know that public_html/uploads/tx_ttnews is writable?
Suggestions:

1. Check the install tool to make sure that the necessary top-level
directories ARE writable
2. Change (or have your host change) all directories that need to be
script-writeable to 775
3. Have your host run something like this as root:

cd /home/intranet/public_html
chgrp -R nobody uploads typo3conf typo3temp

This should allow scripts to write to those directories and is
probably a little better than setting permissions to 777...

-Christopher