[TYPO3] TYPO3 4.0

Katja Lampela katja.lampela at lieska.net
Sat Aug 12 10:53:25 CEST 2006

It seems that you are building the new site in a subfolder and you have
a database for that. And the current site is static html in the root?
This should work just fine; these two sites don't have anything to do
with each other if the files are stored in different locations (typo3
usually has fileadmin folder).

The only thing after releasing the new site - if both are installed in
the root - is the index-file. In typ3 it is index.php and maybe your
current site has index.htm(l) - the preferance which of them is loaded
automatically is set for example in apache configuration httpd.conf file
(though many servers jus prefer php-files anyway, I don't really know
about this subject so much).

So, you can still have your current website after releasing the new
typo3-site. You can link to it from the new site or you can just keep it
there "hidden" for your own purposes. These two sites can't naturally
have the same database without effect on each other, but this wouldn't
be the case with the static html-site.

Updating is easy, just follow the guides and release/update notes.
Usually it's: 1. backup 2. replace source files 3. compare and update
database. But read the documentation and if questions or problems arise
then the community will help you ;)

About subfolder installation and moving to the root: there's mostly no
harm/bad effect or extra configuring (in my experience), just move the
files. Maybe and probably realurl ext or features like that and some
other stuff (ext with static filepaths from the root) don't work without
separate configuration in both cases. But forexample realurl would be
best to install anyway in the final stage of releasing the site.

Hope this helps.
Katja