[TYPO3] Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

Christoph Koehler christoph.koehler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 05:07:04 CEST 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:17:32 -0400, Tony Davidson
<tonyd at zeroeffortnetworking.com.au> wrote:

> My question is *why* does it occur.  I'm dealing with pretty crappy
> level 1 support that have a very basic understanding.  If I can explain
> why the error doesn't always occur I can try to get them to increase the
> allocation.
>
> thanks,
> tony

Hey Tony,

PHP is like any other program that runs on a computer. If it's used a lot,
it takes up CPU and memory. So sometimes, maybe after you clear the cache
in T3 and reload a page, it has to parse the whole page again and use more
memory and CPU cycles. What exactly causes it is hard to say, I don't know
that. But some extensions might be handling large data arrays or so, and
so might the T3 backend, and PHP will need more memory, so pages with many
data intensive extensions might be the reason. File upload could be
another reason, even though I think PHP has a separate setting for that.
I think the recommendation for Typo3 is 16MB, but the more the better.
Good luck getting your host to change it! It shouldn't be that big of a
deal anyway.

You can also try to change the setting yourself, with a .htaccess file in
your (typo3) root directory. Just add:

php_value memory_limit "16M"

to it. Adjust the limit accordingly, but keep it reasonable.

Christoph