[TYPO3] SEO for the defaultToHTMLsuffixOnPrev Realurl setting

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Apr 19 20:53:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a question to the SEO (search-engine optimization) wizards around:

I usually use the "defaultToHTMLsuffixOnPrev" setting of RealUrl, so
that in an example tree I get these URLs:

About Us       = about-us.html
  Company      = about-us/company.html
  Imprint      = about-us/imprint.html
Products       = products.html
  Nice Stuff   = products/nice-stuff.html
  Other Stuff  = products/other-stuff.html

So far so good... But is this "good" for search engines? Google seems to
"group together" pages based on the path. And the "/" seems to be the
separator. In search results I often see stuff like this in the green
"URL" shown below the excerpt:

typo3.org/documentation/document-library/ doc_tut_quickstart/Search_box/

Notice the "space" there? I don't think this is random, and should have
something to do with page rankings, but I don't know where to search for
information about it (how is this called in the SEO-world??).

Ok, back to the RealURL problem, you might have noticed already: The
"about-us.html" is the "main entry point" for the About Us section, but
its on a different level in the "path-hierarchy". Would it be better
(SEO-wise) to do this?

About Us       = about-us/
  Company      = about-us/company.html
  Imprint      = about-us/imprint.html
Products       = products/
  Nice Stuff   = products/nice-stuff.html
  Other Stuff  = products/other-stuff.html

If someone can explain that it would be better, then I would either stop
using defaultToHTMLsuffixOnPrev or make some addition to realurl to be
able to generate the above links.

Cheers,
Ernesto