[TYPO3] Changing File Ownership a Requirement for Typo3?

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 02:51:51 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/10/06, Gilles Deacur <tronno22556 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ask your host this:
> >
> > "Would you prefer that I set file and directory permissions to 777
> > instead of requesting group changes from support?"
>
> I wish it were that simple.  They locked my files to 755.  I tried
> changing it to 777, but the request was denied.

I think that you may not be understanding the situation. Seemingly,
what your host has done is change the _ownership_ of files to httpd.
If this is true, you will not be able to change their permissions. The
reason that changing group membership instead of ownership is a
popular option is that that way you will still be able to ftp into a
script-writable directory. When ownership alone is changed, the script
can write to the directory, but the account user may not be able to.

> They also have those 4 folders set at "httpd" instead of "nobody".

'nobody' is just a common name for the webserver user--httpd is
another, but it could be _anything_. If TYPO3 runs and you can install
extensions etc with the files owned by httpd, then it's the right
user.

-Christopher