[TYPO3] 3.8.1 -> 4.0 upgrade - All my templavoila mappings are gone!?

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Mon Apr 10 10:13:53 CEST 2006

Hi!

Firsts, there is a dedicated TV list, better if you post there.

Alex Kirmse wrote:
> I upgraded everything and while running the database analyzer for which,
> to my knowledge, there has never been any comprehensive docs for, I
> needed to drop certain tables. I looked at the tables and some were
> templavoila related tables with some mappings in them. I didn't feel
> good about deleting them but then I read this little snippet:
>     http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/installation/doc_inst_upgr/1.0.0/view/4/3/
>
> "Tables that are defined in extensions will automatically be managed and
> you don't have to care about them. They are respected fully."

Correct. They are *upgraded* as necessary.

> So I figured, incorrectly, that I could go ahead and drop those tables
> so that the DB Analyzer was finally happy.

Yes, this was wrong. Instructions do not say that you can drop these
tables and hope to keep data in the tem at the same time.

So, you effectively removed all TV information from the system: DSes and
mapping.

> When I log into my new 4.0
> system I notice that Templavoila isn't even installed and even worse,
> all my TV mappings are gone (a couple of hours of work. Yes I have a lot
> of templates) :(.

Of course, they all were in the tables that you deleted.

> So apparently during the upgrade to 4.0 Templavoila is uninstalled and
> "Tables that are defined in extensions" are NOT "automatically managed".
> Be warned!

They *are* managed. But there were nothing to manage because these
tables were removed. Upgrade tool can upgrade tables, it cannot not
recreate deleted data. You could also delete, say, pages or tt_content
table and complain that upgrade went incorrectly and you lost your data.
This is the same!

If you did not touch TV tables, they would be upgraded just fine.

Dmitry.