[TYPO3] 3 severe problems after updating from 3.8.1 to 4.0.0; 1) no direct mail 2) no RTE at all anymore 3) indexed_search andmany others not in TER

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Sun Apr 9 01:28:32 CEST 2006

Karsten,

On 4/8/06, Karsten Dambekalns <karsten at typo3.org> wrote:

> Alexander Schories wrote:
> > My solution: I just turned back to to 3.8.1 again - i love backups in
> > these moments..^^
>
> At least the backups you did right. Did you ever hear about test setups?
> Migration has to be planned? Nah, that's for wimps...

Ahem... Now where were you when TER2 was deployed before TYPO3 v.4 was
released? ;)))

> > Typo3 4.0.0 isn`t finished, at least for my purpose: Migrating rich and
> > big typo3-sites from 3.8.1 to 4.0.0. Means not just creating a new site
> > from scratch.
> I updated a 7500-page, 180-BE-user site to 4.0RC2 (scary, eh?) and had next
> to *no* trouble, aside from a small issue with tt_news.

And that's great. But it doesn't prove that 4.0 is finished. It just
proves that either you are lucky or very talented (I vote for the
2nd.)

> Talking about continuity: did you find a system that was as
> backwards-compatible as TYPO3?

Yes. I find MDPro and WordPress at least as backwards-compatible as
TYPO3, if not better. They come short in some other areas, but not
this one.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko