[TYPO3] 3 severe problems after updating from 3.8.1 to 4.0.0; 1) no direct mail 2) no RTE at all anymore 3) indexed_search andmany others not in TER

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Sat Apr 8 12:02:56 CEST 2006

Hi Allan,

> Hi Alexander
>
> If you read the release notes
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/TYPO3_4.0

I read those of course.

> and the many mails on the mailinglist the last 2-3 days, you

No, i haven`t read the whole mailing list.. ;)

I just read the official manual, looked into the wiki many (!) times - and
found no further information.

Furthermore i don`t think that pointing people to a HUGE mailing lists is
the way to maintain update information..

> will find answers
> to most of(all ?) of ýour questions.
> 1. I dont use direct mail.

I found out the following: It doesn`t work fine with 4.0.0 anymore. There
are updated direct mail extensions (be/fe) though, however things might have
to be updated manually.

> 2. RTE is now a system extension, ie. it is installed with
> the typo3-ver4
> source code, you just have to enable it.

My fault.

But seriously? Who disables RTE by default?! In version 4.0.0, after it was
on all the versions before..

Thank you - i will have a better look next time!! 8)

> 3. Go into "extension manager -> settings" and check of the "Enable
> unsupported extensions:" box, then you will get the full list.

Already did that of course!!! I even had a look into the install tool for
the "allow dev ext feature" - however this seems to be gone (somewhere
else?) as well..

Situation as described.

My solution: I just turned back to to 3.8.1 again - i love backups in these
moments..^^

Typo3 4.0.0 isn`t finished, at least for my purpose: Migrating rich and big
typo3-sites from 3.8.1 to 4.0.0. Means not just creating a new site from
scratch.

I honestly don`t know, if this situation will scare people away: Because THE
MAIN POINT for enterprise class cms - which typo3 now even more claims to be
- is continuity. For software installations with many users, features and
content this means having the possibility to update to new releases -
without having much more trouble than a fresh installation or even being
forced to rewrite/recreate major features of the site EVERYTIME an update
occurs.

I will give 4.x.x a try in some months again. Manuals & Howto`s will be
hopefully up to date then as well. Nearly all extensions will be stable with
4.x.x, not only some.

:)

Thank you once again!

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany

If privacy or security of communication is on your mind, feel free to
establish a secure transmission using the PGP public key obtainable from
http://www.schories.com/alexander/pubkey/alexander_schories.asc