[TYPO3] Which documents describe language encoding

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Fri Apr 7 11:23:22 CEST 2006

Hi!

Kari Salovaara wrote:
> I've a peculiar problem (my inexperience with languages):
> A site had page threads of some Western European languages and all has
> been fine. We added Russian and some pages/contents and everything is OK
> in FE but in backend characters are not rendered correctly (example,
> РУССКИЙ , instead something
> like RUSSKII)

You should use utf-8 in the BE&FE. It is controlled by install settings.
Since you did not do it from the beginning, you need to convert database
(there are extensions for this).

> I've one restriction in testing; this is a production site and under
> same Typo3 installation I've 20 other customers, so I need a bullet
> proof solution.

It can't be because conversion is multistep process, requires changes in
many tables. So anything can go wrong.

> It might be possible to take that domain out of the tree
> and install it under T3 4.0 and establish own database (MySQL 4.0.24)
> for the domain if necessary to modify MySQL environment based by this
> database!!!

It is better to:
1. use install tool to disable any login to typo3 except for admins
2. copy the whole site (including database content) to the test server
3. perform conversion and changes in configuration there
4. test converted sites
5. import database and configuration to the old server. There will be
downtime for sometime (less than hour)

Dmitry.